3/4/14

Arafat...Zola...Broken fingers?

Pano (cloth) Angolan material they made my tie with!

I’m feeling much better now, I don’t know what I had, and I wasn’t able to go to the Hospital. I don’t know them as well as the ones in Luanda, anyways it’s all good now, and I just hope that I never get sick again.  The tie I was wearing at the Baptism in the photos is actually an Angolan pano (cloth) that is very traditional among everyone here. I bought the cloth and asked an Angolan lady at a market if she could make me a tie and a shirt and pants, she did a great job!! It’s straight up Angolan! Really cool! So Domingo who was just baptized is really humble and he is so excited to be a member and Jorge we have been working on still and he has changed so much he should be getting baptized here in a couple of weeks.   So, Dad actually Elder money and I taught the youth the same thing this week!! music!! Ha-ha... We are on the same teaching schedule! We read the hymns and talked about them and read scriptures of why it’s important to sing. I was thinking the other day of how much I miss music, I heard some Billy Joel here and it made me really miss home! I miss the classics too... and Journey and I miss drumming a lot. This week was a lot better than last week... being that I wasn’t dying of some African sickness haha... Well so we had some changing events this week, particularly in one investigator named Jorge.  Elder money and I have noticed that he has changed immensely, and is completely a different person.  That is exactly what the atonement of Jesus Christ does for each of us in our lives, it takes us and strips us of our natural defenses and shows who we truly are. It’s something that as watching my investigators go through encourages me to change more with them each step of the way.  He has gone from being a drunk and a drug user, to a completely new life. Even in our last lesson with him he told us his friends said to him “Jorge you are a completely new person”.   He understands the scriptures at a level that most Angolans don’t get, he is truly elect, and if you would have asked me if I thought he would have joined the church when I first saw him, I would have never even guessed.  It goes to show that the Lord has taught me that I don’t know what a person can become, but the Lord knows and I should not judge because they are Heavenly Father’s children, and he knows their full potential, just as he is doing with me.  So he is pressing on very strong and it seems that he will be baptized this next month! We are very excited; he will be a strong member.

Marketplace

Elder money and I have been helping out a lot of people with talks lately, it seems like when a member is going to give a talk they will call us and ask for help, we have pretty much been writing every talk... hahaha... but that is what it’s like when the church is so small, we have to be the force behind driving it until it is self sustainable. Well it’s funny, because we get there and they say you don’t have anything to use for my talk and we always say, well do you have a Book of Mormon, and they say yes and we say that’s all you need. They are always so shocked but we help them with the scripture study guide.  I can’t wait for the Branch to spilt and eventually have more and then a Stake and on and on... but that will only come with time. This week it also rained a ton, thank goodness Mom that you sent those shoes because I don’t think mine will last the rest of this week!  We also got our water heater fixed! It’s been about 6 weeks that we have gone without hot water! So that was really nice, we are also still waiting on our bikes, but we should be getting them soon.  It is so great to see someone’s life change and it is such a blessing, I can always find one thing, (blessing) that the Lord wants me to know he has given me each and every week, and this week it was Jorge, this Wednesday we will be going over to his house to cook lunch for him, we just found out he doesn’t have a Father or a Mother. His Mom died when he was 7 and his dad left him after that, so he has grown up with no one and it brings him down sometimes, emotionally. He is an amazing person and has come so far in his progression in such a short time, don’t give up on anyone, especially the ones that you love, Also Mom don’t freak out but I may need surgery on my hand, I think I broke 2 fingers when I was in Cassequel (Luanda) and I got an x-ray at the Hospital and the Doctor said it was fine, but it grew back wrong and I’m pretty sure I’m going to need it re-broken, but anyways I can probably do that back at home.
Dad that is so cooolllll! I can’t believe Brother Johnson videotaped Kito and Miloca, I LOVE THEM!!! Ahh I will try to watch the video but, I don’t have head phones, I’ll try to find someone here who has a pair. I’m so excited for you and the trip you guys are going to do in Cancun!! soooo awesome!
We had several spiritual experiences, Elder Hyde and I. He is an AP Assistant and we set a goal to find a new family, and so we knocked doors and we found a nice humble guy named Arafat and when we sat with him he had told us that he had said a prayer that morning for God to send him a sign and we showed up, so awesome! He has three kids and is separated from his wife and has tried to commit suicide 3 times now, so we got there just in time and so we are praying that his heart will be softened.
Also Elder money and I found another guy whose name is Zola!  He has such a nice house, Portuguese built, on the mountain. We sat with him and he straight up opened with us he told us he needs our help. He is 25 and married and has a kid on the way, about 5 months. He explained to us his temptations and the things that bother him. So we are going to help him straighten up his life... he also drives an Infinity! Also Elder money and I just got transfers and we will be staying a 3rd time together... 18 weeks with a companion is a long time, but we are excited at least to be out of the heat of  Luanda.. Anyway such a wonderful week and at the start of this new transfer we have 2 awesome new investigators already.

 I wish you all the best week... ate proximo! chau chau!! Elder Dunkley

Statue in Lubango





No comments:

Post a Comment